Monday

Man Killed Golfing at Odana?

Looks like this morning a 75 year old man was hit by lightening and died at Odana Hills Golf Course in Madison. The golf course's director, Ray Shane, had lots of contradictory things to say:

Shane said it is the responsibility of golfers to monitor the weather and take action when it comes severe and dangerous.

Shane said staff members at Yahara Golf Course have and air gun available to alert golfers of severe weather, but that equipment is not available at Odana.

Shane said the golf course's policy on the threat of lightning on the course was reviewed by the city's risk manager and approved two years ago.


So, at other golf courses they have purchased equipment that alerts golfers of severe weather; however, it is the responsibility of the golfers to monitor the weather? Yahara, apparently, has a different view of the situation, or at least enough of a divergent view to motivate them to invest (pittance) in an air gun. It reminds me of a war story my boss told me this morning about how appraisers should never buy malpractice insurance because "it just gets you sued." Unfortunately, Odana Hills isn't judgment-proof, and if they were negligent in allowing this dude to continue golfing (as they, surprise of all surprises, indicate they weren't), it doesn't matter what the city's risk manager, the golf course director, or anyone else other than the court has to say.

Also, Mr. Shane, I hope the fact that you disclosed knowledge of Yahara's more stringent system is used against you: I hate the snarky "I know something bad happened on my watch but I'm going to spout out a bunch of bullshit on why it wasn't my fault" and would be happy to see it used against him.

No comments: