Tuesday

Under Pressure

We here on the Court are big fans of booze. Connoisseurs, one could even say. Part of what makes us such a fair and effective deliberative body is the fact that we are willing to explore and be adventurous with our libations. If you took out the recycling after a SCOTUS hoe-down, you would find a delightful and interesting variety of empty receptacales. We like to experiment, and that is OK. Or so I thought.

Now, this guy is telling me that I am going to be immediately judged, and perhaps discounted and rejected by others, based on my cocktail order. I personally find his science to be somewhat faulty, and the last thing I need is to have one more thing to worry about on a date.

(Not that ol' CT has had a date in recent memory, but when that day comes - and it will, right soon - I do not want to waste a single moment trying to analyze what conclusions about my character my date will reach based on my drink order)

Isn't it enough that I spend most of my life striving for truth and justice? Valiantly protecting the original intentions of our founding fathers against crazy progressives that somehow think Jefferson and Adams didn't know EXACTLY the kinds of issues that would face the nation 200 years down the road? Must I also be forced to defend my choice to order a lemon meringue-a-tini if that's what I'm in the mood for!?

On a side note, I take issue with his characterization of people who order Screwdrivers as "original thinkers". WTF? What the heck is original about a freakin' Screwdriver? That is something I would have ordered when I was about 17 and didn't want to seem indecisive in a bar, lest they discover my underage status, so I just went with the first thing I could think of. But I digress...

The point I am making is, anyone that makes sweeping generalizations about a person based merely on what particular variety of drink they may decide to order at any given time is a total douchebag.

Unless, of course, the person making those sweeping generalizations is a member of the Court. In which case, it is totally acceptable. Judging people is our job, after all.

1 comment:

JP said...

Hear hear CT: Judge people not by what they drink, but by if they drink. If you want to drink ten Smirnoff Ice's, hey, all the power to you, but don't teetotale around SCOTUS.