Tuesday

Jury duty

Ever since I was appointed to the Supreme Court in 1975, non-lawyer friends of mine have been asking me about jury duty. Do I have to go? How do I get out of it? Why is Judge Shabaz falling asleep? I tell them yes, you have to go, but if you really don't want to serve, you'll get a chance to answer a few questions to convince one lawyer or the other that you're not the dude/dudette for the part.

This guy didn't get the memo:
"You say on your form that you're not a fan of homosexuals," Nickerson said.

"That I'm a racist," Ellis interrupted.

"I'm frequently found to be a liar, too. I can't really help it," Ellis added.

"I'm sorry?" Nickerson said.

"I said I'm frequently found to be a liar," Ellis replied.

"So, are you lying to me now?" Nickerson asked.

"Well, I don't know. I might be," was the response.

Ellis then admitted he really didn't want to serve on a jury.

"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.

"That's true," Ellis answered.

Nickerson ordered Ellis taken into custody. He was released later Monday morning.

Ellis could face perjury and other charges.

I didn't think you could get a perjury charge at jury duty. For one, that appears to be a blatant overuse of the word 'jury'; second, what should the dude who's actually a racist homophobe have said? The judge probably saw this guy being a snarkface and threw the book at him, but what if a judge just didn't credit your intense homophobia or racism? Can a juror perjure de jure?

No comments: