Thursday

The Onion on ID

Georgia school board bans 'Theory of Math'. This reminds me of an argument my French host brother, age 21 at the time, liked to use to rationalize his mathematical deficiencies (this is a dude who failed the French exam to be a licensed carpenter twice). His theory was that math was totally worthless since someday someone might discover that, throughout history, mathematicians forgot to carry a 1 somewhere, and therefore everyone would have to go back and figure out everything again. I spent a good, oh, fifteen seconds trying to relieve him of the idea that the foundations of mathematics are based in ancient, potentially-faulty arithmetic before I let him continue blissfully playing Gran Turismo 2. Even the close-to-home connection between knowing something about math and not sitting in the house without a job playing video games all day escaped him: I concluded he forgot to carry something.

No comments: