Thursday

Seriatim Cultural Spotlight: Text Message Composition


The JP really gets his robes in a bunch when he's trying to type text messages using the "Word" function that fills in the word for you, and the phone makes decisions so bad that, if something comparably moronic was proposed politically, it could only be attributable to Frank Lasee. You think they'd hire a few compsci nerds for the summer, give them a list of the most common words in the English language in order of popularity, and tell them to go to town, right? No, they definitely let some dumbasses in on the process, and every time I find a new one, it makes me think mean thoughts about Frank Lasee since, as implied anecdotally above, I equate him with people doing things badly.

For example:

I want to type sushi. I hit 7, s; 8, su; 7 again, sus; 4, sush; 4 again, pushi. Thank you LG: Next time I'm hungry for some goddamn pushi I'll give you a holler.

Another favorite is trying to type ass. 1, a; 7, as; 7 again, app. That's 'app' as in the first three letters of 'apply', as in, I want to apply for a cellphone manufactured by a company that understands how often I use the word 'ass' and that wants to perpetuate that activity.

2 comments:

AKen said...

jp, i hear you loud and clear. at least once a day, AKen tries to type 'beer.' somehow it comes out 'adds' every time. Adds? please. like i'm trying to discuss math via text. you'd think this #$@$@ phone would learn.

ant said...

Uh, maybe you punks should turn off auto-complete and just type your words the old fashioned way.