Wednesday

Call the whambulance?

I honestly can't decide how I feel about this.

On the one side, I have heard that it is pretty painful for a lactating woman to go too long without being able to express her milk.

On the other side, as a proponent of family planning, I argue that she should have thought about this before going and having another baby right away. She knew perfectly well this exam was coming up, and it was going to be grueling. I'm certainly not saying she should have aborted her baby to accommodate the exam, but it was her choice to get pregnant and if that is making it hard for her to get things done, that's her own damn fault. There will be another exam. She could put it off until she's finished breast-feeding.

I guess I take issue with her position that lactating is some kind of disability that should be given special accommodation. Pregnancy is a (largely) voluntary condition, and it seems like this baby was planned. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lashing out against all breeders. I understand why there need to be provisions made in the workplace for nursing mothers, they are just trying to keep doing their job and going on with their day to day lives. I see this as an entirely different situation. This exam is an isolated event and it can be postponed.

Furthermore, this woman is already getting special considerations for learning disabilities and being allowed to take the test over two days instead of one. Call me crazy, but I feel a little uneasy about granting medical licenses to people that can't pass the exam under the same rigorous circumstances applied to everyone else.

OK, I guess now I do know how I feel about this.

2 comments:

ant said...

Hmm. I don't have a problem with the breastfeeding thing, (although I'm unconvinced that it actually takes an hour--really??) but I do have a problem with the lady herself. She sounds outrageously litigious and demanding.

What really disturbed me was the fact that I read this whole post before realizing it was written by Clarince and not JPS. Terrifying!

Kimbersmith said...

terrifying indeed.