Tuesday

Guest Bloggin': Banana Bread

Thanks to Mr. Keelover for this one:

Subject: How the fuck did they get 23 grams of fat into my banana bread?

We have one of those rotating refrigerated vending machines at work. I patronized it this morning, hoping to find an healthier alternative to potato chips and candy bars. How about banana bread?, I thought. Better than Snickers - after all, it has fruit in it. I put in my dollar, and opened the door to retrieve my breakfast - a 113-gram loaf of Nemo's (Fine Bakery Products) Banana Bread. Out of curiosity, I checked out the nutritional info.

23 grams of fat?! It takes a lot of balls to advertise "0 g Trans Fat" on the front of your wrapper when the back reveals that it's little more than a leavened lump of lipids. I found this mind-boggling - 23 grams of fat is about what you'd find in a lunch from McDonald's, or a double-portion of baby back ribs, not BREAD! I read further:

Ingredients: Enriched Bleach Flour - okay, probably not nature's best, but I don't think it has any fat.

Sugar - again, no fat.

Eggs - yeah, they have fat, but what did they do, use half a dozen?

Soybean Oil - AHA!

That explains why the top of my banana bread glistens like the clean-shaven pectorals of an MTV Spring Breaker. I'm pretty sure you can make banana bread without using any oil (especially when, as in this case, you also use buttermilk). Why on Earth should you make oil the fourth ingredient? It's listed before bananas, for chrissakes!

Most importantly, it tastes terrible.

1 comment:

ehouse said...

hi, i understand your frustration. however, if you ever try the chocolate chocolate puddin' cake by nemo's (with 12 grams of fat and an equally absurd amount of oil) you will wonder how it is you went through life without it.
it has small bits of chocolate chips slightly melted in the cake, it tastes so good even though it is awful for you.
cheers,
liz