Monday

If Slate's "Dear Prudence" were combined with The Onion's "Point Counterpoint"

Point: From Slate's "Dear Prudence":
Dear Prudie,
I am a fairly happy newlywed. The first time I met my husband, I thought he was gay. Even months into our friendship, I still thought he was. Then he asked me out and we kissed and I was convinced otherwise. Now I am constantly flooded with suspicions. It's driving me crazy. I sometimes catch him staring at a man or standing in a weird way. When we first started dating, one of his jerky friends told me that they'd had sex. I was told that was a joke. Just when I've convinced myself that I'm wrong, he goes and screams like a girl or crosses his legs or doesn't ask for sex or doesn't tell me I'm sexy or any number of things that are driving me bonkers. I've confronted him a couple times and he denies it up and down, but gets kind of defensive. I'm getting miserable.

—Suspicious Wife


Counterpoint:

Dear Baseball Beer Dude,
I'm a fairly happy newlywed. The first time I met my wife, I thought she was a huge bitch. Even after we were friends for awhile, I still felt like, under her cover of niceties and friendliness, she was kind of a bitch. Then, we started a relationship, and she was so amicable that I was convinced otherwise. Now, I'm pretty sure I was wrong. It's driving me crazy. Sometimes, when I leave the toilet seat up, she screams at me from across the house, even though putting a toilet seat down is no Herculean affair. She'll be nice for days, though, and I'll really be convinced that it's just me displacing bitchiness onto her. But then she'll yell at me for having my tenth beer, or tell me to get up off my ass and clean the garage, or inform me she's throwing a "Keep my husband from watching football on Sunday" party all day Sunday for hundreds of friends and their friends in the space between the recliner and the TV. Every time I confront her and ask her if she truly is a bitch, it strangely makes her both be more of one and deny it simultaneously, getting really defensive. I'm getting miserable.

-Suspicious Husband

No comments: