Tuesday

Illinois and the Ban

So, the Illinois statewide smoking ban is a big deal these days, and as a former (and perhaps future) Illinoisan and the only official non-smoker here, I feel that it's my duty to bring it up.

I'm happy about the ban. Here are some comments about it I have heard, and my meandering thoughts:

"I feel like it's the Nazi regime coming in here, talking away all of our rights, said Tim Main, as he cleaned up Mike's Ten-Pin Lounge in Alton. "First they make it so you have to wear seat belts, and now they want to put a stop to smoking. What's next?"

Hmm. This took me by surprise, since I didn't realize that people were still upset about buckling up, and still wanted to recklessly endanger themselves, their children or other potential projectiles. It's also weird that this guy thinks smoking regulation is somehow akin to murdering millions of people. (I know the Nazis did other stuff, but if it weren't for the killing they probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal. Right? Right.)

"Next they're going to ban hamburgers."

This is another person who thinks that smoking bans are exclusively enacted for the health and beauty of the smokers. And shooting people should only be forbidden in suicides.

"I am an asthmatic and do not support the smoking bans. If I walk into a bar, and there are smokers and I have an attack, who's fault is that? It is mine. I know there is a reasonable expectation of there being smoke in a bar. Therefore, I avoid the potential for harm to myself."

Not anymore, Piggy. Now you can go to the bar AND stop blaming yourself for your ass-mar. (On a side note, this quote sounds like something that JP would say. Except for the tragic conclusion of bar avoidance.)

"Life is a temporary condition of unpredictable length followed predictably by death, and no amount of legislation will change that."

That's true, but IMHO it's reasonable to try and prevent people from accidentally killing other people (or giving them lung cancer). Or on purpose.

Anyhow, I like the statewide ban because I don't smell like smoke, am less likely to get a cold or lung cancer and have overcome my addiction to Visine. More broadly, I realize that smoking is bad, but is often not a life or death question, especially second hand smoke... so I should note that I'm okay with laws regulating some kinds of annoying behavior, even if it's not totally dangerous. Like littering.

1 comment:

Kimbersmith said...

I concur with your opinon Ant, and write separately in order to make the point that even smokers (not that ANYONE on this board would dream of smoking ANYTHING!) are, by and large, OK with smoking bans.

It is not that difficult to step outside for a smoke, and you end up smoking less overall as indoor smoking and booze are a famous recipe for chain-smoking. Plus, not even smokers would say they WANT their hair and clothes to reek of stale tobacco.

So, hear hear, Illinoisians. Don't let the haters get you down.